5 reasons why Emperor became a B Corp
I recently attended my first B Corp event as a proud employee of a Certified B Corporation.
The event was celebrating x1,000 B Corps in the UK. The UK is B Corp’s fastest growing community making up a sixth of the global movement. In 2019 there were 400 B Corps and then the 500 mark was passed in 2020, and here we are two years on already at 1,000+.
The significance of the moment was marked in the impressive setting of The Natural History Museum under the iconic female Blue Whale named ‘Hope’ as a symbol of humanity’s power to shape a sustainable future. It was a powerful reminder of the challenges we face and the role of business as a force for good - doing no harm and doing more good, working together for a future that benefits people and planet.
This milestone and the nature of the setting made me reflect on Emperor’s reasons for aspiring to join the global B Corp community:
- Likeminds - we became employee owned in the January 2020 and B Corp felt like a natural next step. We had a track record of responsible business and B Corp provided a framework with which to gauge our approach and guide us going forward.
- Authenticity - this is at the heart of our brand positioning and a constant in our conversations with our clients. We aim to practice what we preach both in how we work and the work we deliver. B Corp certification shows that we are committed to being transparent about our business and measuring our impact.
- Aim high – this is one of our five Emperor values, and B Corps meet the highest standards of social and environmental performance. The rigorous B Impact Assessment focuses on the business as a whole and asks 200+ questions covering five impact areas: Governance, Workers, Community, Environment and Customers. A score of 80+ is required and we achieved 113.4 (the median score for ordinary businesses who complete the assessment is currently 50.9).
- Future fit – companies of every shape and size, and as part of a value chain, increasingly need to demonstrate and communicate their approach to sustainability business issues. We, our clients, and suppliers want to be working with likeminded businesses, creating a positive ripple effect through responsible business practices.
- Resilience - our company is built on the excellence of our people helping clients with their business challenges and opportunities. We believe that B Corp is an important aspect of attracting and retaining talented people.
We’ll be following this first feature with some insights into our journey and our B Impact Assessment score aligned with B Corp’s five impact areas. Please do get in touch if you’re interested in knowing more about B Corp.